Sat, April 23 2005 3:10 PM
Netscape Communicator and Netscape Messenger
If you wish to use the Netscape Navigator and the Netscape Messenger as your
brower and email programs, the following instructions will take you step by
step through through the setup.
If you have any problems or need assistance with any part of this
installation, you may contact our technical support staff at the
numbers listed on your Startup Kit. If you are able to connect and
check your e-mail, Technical Support can be reached here.
PART A - Download Netscape Communicator
If you have a web browser installed on your computer, you can download
the lastest version of Netscape Communicator by going to
If you have the TConline Installation CD, insert it in your CD ROM
drive. Close the 'Welcome' when it appears. Click on 'Start' |
'Programs' | 'Windows Explorer' and select the drive letter for your CD.
Look in [cd drive:]\software\WIN9x and double click on the file
cc32e45. This will install version 4.5 so there may be some
minor differences in the setup screens from what is described below.
To download Netscape Communicator to a computer with no web browser
installed, you can use the following procedure:
- Connect to TConline using your TConline Dial-Up Networking connection.
- Open an MS-DOS window by clickng on 'Start' | 'Programs' | 'MS-DOS Prompt'.
- Type ftp ftp.netscape.com then press the 'Enter' key.
- At the 'User (ftp.netscape.com:(none)):' prompt, type ftp then strike the 'Enter' key.
- At the 'Password:' prompt, type your e-mail address (firstname.lastname@example.org) and press the 'Enter' key. You might not see your e-mail address as you type it, so enter it carefully.
- At the 'ftp>' prompt, type bin and press the 'Enter' key. You should receive the message 'Type set to I'.
- At the 'ftp>' prompt, type hash, then press the 'Enter' key. You should receive the message 'Hash mark printing On (2048 bytes/hash mark)'
cd /pub/communicator/english/4.72/windows/windows95_or_nt/complete_install You should receive the message 'CWD Command Successful'.
- Type get cc32e472.exe and press the 'Enter' key.
- You should receive the message 'Opening BINARY mode data connection...' At this point, the download is beginning. Depending on your modem speed, this should take anywhere from 35 to 60 minutes. When the download is complete, you should get a message saying 'Transfer complete'.
- At the ftp> prompt, type quit, and press the 'Enter' key to exit the FTP program.
PART B - Install Netscape Communicator
- Click on 'Start | Run' and type cc32e472.exe
- Click on 'Next' at the welcome screen, and click on 'Yes' at the license agreement.
- Click on 'Next' to accept the Typical installation and the default location.
- Click 'OK' if a previous version of Navigator was detected.
- At the 'Desktop Preference Options', make sure that only 'Make Netscape Communicator my default Internet browser' is selected, and click on 'Next'.
- Click on 'Next' to accept the default program folder, and on the next screen click on 'Install'.
- Click 'No' when asked to view the README file. It only contains the instructions you have already just completed.
- Select 'Yes, I want to restart my computer now', and click on 'OK'.
PART C - Configure Netscape Browser, Email, and News
- Double-click the 'Netscape Communicator' icon on your desktop.
- If prompted to create a new profile, click on 'Next'.
Select 'Edit' | 'Preferences' from the Navigator menu. If the wizard appeared above, much of the following information will already be entered.
Select 'Navigation' from the list on the left. Under, 'Navigator starts with', select 'Home Page'. Enter the address of the page you wish to load every time you open your web browser. We recommend you type, http://wtxs.net
Double-click 'Mail & Newsgroups' from the list on the left, and then click on 'Identity'. Type your name and your TConline email address (email@example.com) into the appropriate fields.
Click on 'Mail Servers' in the list on the left.
- Type your name and your TConline email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) into the appropriate fields and click on 'Next'.
- Click 'Next' on the profile name screen.
- Enter mail.wtxs.net for 'Outgoing mail (SMTP) server' and click on 'Next'.
- Enter your TConline username for 'Mail server username'
- Enter mail.wtxs.net for 'Incoming Mail Server'
- Make sure 'POP3' is selected for 'Mail Server type'
- Click on 'Next'
- Click 'Finish'
Under 'Server Type', select 'POP3'.
For 'Server Name', type mail.wtxs.net.
Enter your TConline username, as listed on your startup kit.
You may select 'Remember password' so you will not be prompted for your password each time you check your mail.
Click on 'OK'.
For 'Outgoing mail (SMTP) server:', type mail.wtxs.net
- If mail.wtxs.net appears under 'Incoming Mail Servers', click on it to select it, and click on 'Edit'.
- If any other entry appears under 'Incoming Mail Servers', click on it to select it, and then click on 'Delete' to remove it.
- Then click on 'Add'.
Make sure that 'Outgoing mail server user name' is blank.
Click 'OK' to close the setup screen.
After the installation, you will have a Netscape Communicator icon on
your desktop. Double click on this icon once you have gone through the
steps of Connecting to TConline. To send or receive e-mail go to
Communicator then Messenger. To send or receive news articles go to
Communicator then Newsgroups.
A Few Useful Windows Links
This is a list of helpful links containing help, tutorials, and
shareware. Some are Windows 95/98 specific and some are general